As the weather changes you’d want to get away from the heat of your home. But islands are beaches are not luxuries everyone can afford. If you have a big enough backyard, you don’t have anything to worry about. You can set up a pool in your backyard and have fun in the water even if it’s scorching hot outside.
A swimming pool is the best way to beat the heat. Once you start enjoying it, it’s hard to stop and you would want to do it every day. For that, it is important that you have a good pool pump handy that can be used frequently whenever you wish to take a dip in the pool.
It’s important to have an understanding of what a pool pump is so you know how to choose which one you want. A pool pump is made up of various components some of which are the frame, engine, impeller, and a collection of strainers. The pump converts electrical energy to mechanical and enables water flow into the pool.
The pool pumps operate on their own and are useful as they remove and handle their moisture on their own as well. A pool pump is also important for hygienic purposes. The water passes through filtration mechanism making is safe for use and clean.
But, you aren’t sure which pool pump to buy? Don’t worry. This article contains all the answers to your questions. Keep reading to find out our recommended above ground pool pump options. Here is a table of the best above ground pool pump options as we see them.
Pool Pump Components
Before providing you the best choices for an above ground pool pump, it is important to know what a pool pump is.
The pool pump is indeed the heart of the pool network. It is made up of a frame, engine, impeller, as well as a set of strainers. Many pool pumps are inertial self-priming, with a sealed container usually regarded as the pump housing. As with an automobile engine, the pool pump is the main element of the pool as well as spa filtering cycle.
If you want to place an above ground pool, you need to know the pool pump components so that it becomes easy for you to maintain your pool. They are as follows:
- Water inlet: The pump forces the water that is wholly treated and purified through multiple inlets back into the pool. These inlets are also called jets. The small inlet terminals add additional water pressure so that the water is pumped into the pool instead of just going into it. The added pressure increases the speed with which the pool fills.
- Water outlet: Water outlets are the opening of pools where water for circulation passes outside the pool. It sucks water through the skimmer. It prevents pressure accumulation and this is the end that throws water into the pool. The outlet has to be strong and damage proof because this is the part handling the most pressure.
- Filter: The job of the filter is to keep everything nice and clean. The water pump is used to push the water upon the pool rim from the skimmer and the primary drain on or close to the pool’s rim. Water goes through the pump into the tank, which extracts waste and bacteria from soil. the water that ends up in the pool is clean and filtered.
- Impeller: The next important device is the impeller. It is a body that spins at high speeds, is upright in nature and draws the water inside, and moves it through the device.
- Motor: The motor is the part that converts electrical energy into mechanical energy. The motor is fixed to the rear of the framework of the pump, as well as its entire function is to rotate the impeller. It is the main driving force behind the pool pump. Occasionally, you’ll hear it called the pump and engine, or even just the pump.
Speed Options For Swimming Pool Pumps
Pool pumps come with various pumping speed selections: low, medium, and high, all of which are appropriate when you want to alter the pumping velocity depending on the swimming pool condition to save on power usage.
The single-speed pumps are the cheapest ones. But their biggest disadvantage is that they can run only at one speed and the power consumption remains constant even if you wish to fill a pool slowly. These are very popular. Based on the motor’s horsepower the motor moves the impeller at a constant velocity which cannot be decreased or increased.
As the name suggests, these pumps feature two modes: low and high. The high velocity is the equivalent of a single-speed pump. The lower velocity utilizes low power but at water retention, it will not be successful. That might rely on the depth of your pool. So most people prefer using it at high speed to fill the pool and then low speed to keep the pool with enough water for just long enough.
These pumps are relatively costlier than the single- or dual-speed pumps because of the added functionality. This one has a different structure too in that it uses in place of an induction motor, a variable speed pool pump requires a perpetual magnetic engine.
This is the type of motor found in vehicles so it can operate at higher power levels. A magnet engine produces less resistance than an induction engine. Additionally, variable-speed pumps use less energy.
Flow Rate Matters When Selecting An Above Ground Pool Pump
Calculating the ‘head loss’ or ‘friction loss’ caused by pool equipment such as filters and cleaners requires flow rate. To move the chlorinated water across the filter and then back into the pool, the above ground pool pump should have the least flow speed in gallons per minute which will enable it to flow the water across the filter in a specified period. That is why the flow rate is an important factor.
Above Ground vs Inground Pool Pumps
An above-ground is the inexpensive choice for a pool, ever though. The major drawback of an above-ground pool is that it usually doesn’t bring much benefit to your house. These do include a few of the similar issues as in-ground pools, like concerns around moisture absorption and management.
There are quite a few differences between the pool pumps that are in-ground and above-ground though the biggest difference is in the way the ground pumps can prime themselves while the underground ones cannot.
Our Top 5 Choices For The Best Above Ground Pool Pump
If you’re planning to buy above-ground pool pumps but are not sure which one you should get, we have compiled a list that will make your decision easier. Here, we will provide you our five best options for the finest pool pumps so that you can decide which one to purchase. This will save a lot of time searching and asking around.
Intex Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump
Maintain your above ground pool water tidy, smooth and gratifying with Intex’s Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump. This comes in four separate kinds of tanks.
All models come with 2-year insurance from the supplier. The pump flow rate is 3000 GPH and the system flow rate is 2, 450 GPH. The sand filter pump is fitted with Hydro Aeration Engineering, which is special to pool pumps from Intex. This pump needs practically no repair except replacing sand every five years. Its advantages involve enhanced flow and aeration, improved water quality, and increased negative ions on your pool water surface. When you run this pool pump you can select among six multiple roles. A pump flow rate of 3,000 gallons per hour is produced by the Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump.
Features of the Intex Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump
All models come with 2-year insurance from the supplier. The pump flow rate is 3000 GPH and the system flow rate is 2, 450 GPH. The sand filter pump is fitted with Hydro Aeration Engineering, which is special to pool pumps from Intex. This pump needs practically no repair except replacing sand every five years.
Its advantages involve enhanced flow and aeration, improved water quality, and increased negative ions on your pool water surface. When you run this pool pump you can select among six multiple roles. A pump flow rate of 3,000 gallons per hour is produced by the Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump.
Pros and Cons of the Intex Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump
As with all above ground pool pump options, the Intex Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump has its shares of advantages and disadvantages. Below is a list of pros and cons we have found with this above ground pool pump option.
- The filter pumper has a 24-hour timer. You can make use of the automatic feature of this timer for the pool pump.
- The six control valves give a lot of options when it comes to maintenance and drainage of the pool.
- The backwash and rinse feature make the pool pump easy to clean and acts as a self-maintenance system.
- The machine is durable and long-lasting, and you won’t have to worry about replacement for many seasons to come.
- The machine is compatible with all swimming pool systems. However, when it comes to non-Intex pools, you have to make use of additional adaptors and parts.
- Due to its premium quality, it leans to the more expensive side.
- Intex Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump is not resistant to moisture or rain. Furthermore, it can easily overheat and become faulty. This is quite a hazard and also means that you will have to practice extreme caution during use.
The Intex Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump is the ideal long term solution for all your swimming pool filtration requirements. Frequent use of a pool requires an efficient and responsive filter system. You will never have to worry about your cartridge filtration being up to mark the next time you get the pool out to relax.
Intex Krystal Clear Saltwater System
This saltwater system takes the best features of the ozone and combines it with the comfort of water to provide an awesome experience. It has a sanitizing effect along with the comfort it provides. Ozone is instrumental in protecting and conserving the environment as it kills most bacteria on the first contact.
When this effect is combined with the chlorine with sanitizing ability, it results in clear water. So you don’t have to worry about sanitizing the water and making it fit for use. This one of its kind pumps will do that for you.
Features of the Intex Krystal Clear Saltwater System
The latest version of this has a much-improved design for the control panel as well as the water pipe and has self-cleaning models that continuously clean it at regular intervals. The time setting of these can be adjusted as per need and it comes with options of 6 hours, 12 hours and 14 hours. That means you can turn it on and then get busy with whatever you’re doing without worrying about overflow.
Pros and Cons of the Intex Krystal Clear Saltwater System
As with all above ground pool pump options, the Intex Krystal Clear Saltwater System has its shares of advantages and disadvantages. Below is a list of pros and cons we have found with this above ground pool pump option.
- It comes with a 24-hour clock cycle.
- The process of installation is quite easy.
- The operation is simple and straightforward.
- RECO (electrocatalytic oxidation) releases ions to remove algae, which is more effective than traditional chlorine filters.
- The integration of salt and water is a one-time process. No repetition is required.
- LED indicators provide a short overview of system status.
- Self-cleans itself so you don’t have to worry much about maintenance.
- Chlorinator cell housing allows quick access to the condition of the cell.
- The system is durable and sturdy.
- Price is affordable since the device will be effectively working for years.
- The Intex Krystal Clear Saltwater System would not work as smoothly if the pool is not compatible with the Intex system.
- In case of incompatibility, additional parts need to be bought.
- Though it connects with your filter pump, the pump needs to have a flow rate between 1,600 – 4,000 gph
- Frequent operation might lead to calcium build-up on the cell plates, which would require switching polarity in the cell unit.
Choosing the right saltwater system should be done, keeping various factors such as hygiene, safe chemicals, functionality, durability, etc. in mind. The Intex Krystal Clear Saltwater System is an ideal solution for the saltwater cleaning of pools. The system exceeds all expectations and works efficiently and without a hassle as an above ground pool pump option.
The Special Pump includes all the important characteristics expected from Hayward. This is built for all styles and dimensions of in-ground swimming pools. Hayward has a well-known name now and this brand of above ground pool pumps has all the qualities that Hayward has been known for.
Features of the Hayward SP1580
The Hayward Super Pump Single-Speed 1.5 Pool Pump (Hayward SP1580) establishes the industry target for performance and durability and belongs to the upmost-selling medium-head pump community worldwide. It is a purpose-built heavy-duty engine. It also offers airflow circulation which makes activity smoother, cleaner, and much more productive.
The extra-big dust container offers reduced constant cleaning with additional leaf storage space. The special flip-away handle knobs allow removing of strainer lid without objects. The innovative product-ease layout offers easy 4-bolt accessibility for easy maintenance to all internal parts.
Pros and Cons of the Hayward SP1580
As with all above ground pool pump options, the Hayward SP1580 has its shares of advantages and disadvantages. Below is a list of pros and cons we have found with this above ground pool pump option.
- The pump is high performing and has good power.
- It is highly energy-efficient, which means you do not have to worry about the pump consuming too much electricity if you run it for an extended period.
- It is quite easy to use and requires very low maintenance.
- There will be no question regarding its service as Hayward SP1580 Power-Flo LX is one of the best in the market when it comes to above-ground pool pumps.
- The Hayward SP1580 Power-Flo LX has no on or off switch, which means that the user has to pull the plug every time they wish to switch off the machine. This can be a slight inconvenience for many users.
- The installation process for the pump is quite complex, and there is no detailed user manual that is present in the packaging. You may have to take the help of an expert to install the pump.
With its high performing 1HP pump and excellent durability, Hayward SP1580 Power-Flo LX is the best pool pump in the market in an affordable price range. Designed to provide highly efficient services, this over-ground pool pump can be used effortlessly for a long duration without worrying about energy consumption.
The Hayward SP1593 is the next in line as one of the most efficient and economical above ground pool pump options on the market today. It has been engineered to handle large loads and be able to pump at full efficiency even for pools that are of a large size. The pump is large and the way it is integrated with the motor and the pump gives the best possible results. The bulk makes it heavy to move around so most people who are going vacationing have trouble taking it along
Features of the Hayward SP1593
It comes with a strainer basket and all of the main debris is collected in it, preventing the need for regular maintenance. The motor works with great performance and because of the strong motor that has a thermal protector that prevents damages in case of overloading. This ensures it is durable and can last for long times. The pool pump has the capacity to last for many years without suffering wear and tear.
Pros and Cons of the Hayward SP1593
As with all above ground pool pump options, the Hayward SP1593 has its shares of advantages and disadvantages. Below is a list of pros and cons we have found with this above ground pool pump option.
- Single-click On/Off switch that is convenient for the user
- Large basket to collect a hefty amount of debris, so there is no trouble for frequent cleaning
- Disengaging the strainer is made easy by C-Clip connector
- The motor has an inbuilt automatic thermal overload protector that ensures longevity
- Changes the pump’s discharge feature going horizontal to vertical with the push of a single button
- Corrosion proof housing with PermaGlass for assured durability
- Heat resistant to maintain high performance in every weather
- Failure to install correctly results in the pump failing to work after a couple of months
- Due to its premium features, the pump is on the expensive side
- Individual parts are not provided. These parts may not be readily available everywhere as well.
- Customers have complained that the company only pays for the manufacturing issues within the warranty limit, not the labor.
The Hayward SP1593 is durable, powerful, convenient, and energy-efficient. This above ground pool pump is extremely versatile as it can cater to every kind of pool and spa.
Although the pump might be on the expensive side, if you have a large pool, then this above ground pool pump is a smart investment. The durability of the body and motor and its heat resistant features ensure that you won’t have to change it for years.
The Pentair 011514 is an above ground pool pump that is easy to use and carry around. Its mobility makes it the go-to choice for many people who like moving around and going on frequent vacations. It is more energy-efficient than the other pool pumps falling in the same price range. Its performance efficiency is up to industrial standards.
Features of the Pentair 011514
The Pentair 011514 above ground pool pump is quite easy to clean and wash without too much hassle and effort. The strong material that it is made of makes it durable and long-lasting as well. In the latest version of the Pentair pool pump, the motor is stronger than before, providing better power output and efficiency.
The Pentair 011514 above ground pool pump has a purpose-built heavy-duty engine. It also offers airflow circulation which makes activity smoother, cleaner, and much more productive. The extra-big dust container offers reduced constant cleaning with additional leaf storage space and it prevents from the pipe being blocked. This also reduces the amount of times maintenance has to be done for the pool pump
Pros and Cons of the Pentair 011514
As with all above ground pool pump options, the Pentair 011514 has its shares of advantages and disadvantages. Below is a list of pros and cons we have found with this above ground pool pump option.
- The body of the Pentair 011514 is resistant to heat and corrosion and can function efficiently for long periods.
- Its motor is extremely silent while being powerful, and the water flow rate is extremely high.
- With its 2-inch connection ports, it is easy to install and requires minimal changes in plumbing.
- It comes with an overlarge basket with a see-through lid for the collection of debris. So if any item is lost in the pool, it can be located easily.
- The Pentair 011514 only has a one-speed setting and no timer to turn on or off the motor, and hence is not as energy efficient as pool owners want it to be.
- Though the pool pump comes with a manufacturer warranty, the customer service centers are not easily accessible. The process for utilizing services while the product is under warranty is tiresome.
- The hoses for the inlet and outlet connections are not included with the product and have to be bought separately.
The Pentair 011514 above ground pool pump only has a one-speed setting, but it is the most efficient single-speed pool pump in the market. Though some may consider it to be overpriced, the powerful motor and super silent functioning compensate for it. The single-speed motor also seems to be an issue, as there are possibilities for overconsumption of energy.
Our Final Thoughts on the Best Above Ground Pool Pump Options
Overall, these above ground pool pump options are a great fit for both swimming pools and above ground pool and spa combos. We recommend one of these five choices if you are looking for a simple, straightforward above ground pool pump. They deliver well above and beyond expectations if you are looking for a simple pool pump product without many unnecessary features to fiddle with and break.
Additional Buyer’s Guides
- Best Overall Pool Pump
- Best Hayward Pool Pump
- Best Intex Pool Pump
- Best Pentair Pool Pump
- Best Inground Pool Pump
Looking for some additional resources for your burning above ground pool pump related questions? We answer some of the following questions in these articles: