More and more people prefer swimming as a way to relax and beat the heat. Hence, when it comes to pool pumps, nothing but the best should suffice, and that includes the Hayward SP2303VSP MaxFlo VS.
A pool pump forms the circulatory system of your swimming pool. You must match your pool with a pump that fits its requirements. One of the leaders in the pool-equipment business is Hayward Pool Products, an 80-year-old company catering to requirements of both domestic and commercial pools.
In this article, we will be providing a detailed review of one of their domestic in-ground pool pumps, the Hayward SP2303VSP MaxFlo VS.
About The Hayward SP2303VSP
The Hayward SP2303VSP is an in-ground water-purification system. It comprises a permanent magnet and a totally enclosed fan cooled (TEFC) motor, which allows for powerful and smooth running.
Its most unique feature is its variable-speed technology, which allows for up to 80% reduction in energy consumption. What’s more, the 1.65HP motor can be programmed to eight different speeds. The pump is also equipped with a self-contained timer.
When we say technology has advanced, we mean this. The Hayward SP2303VSP can function in stand-alone mode, with Hayward computerization, or with other control systems as a relay-system. The external touchpad control panel is lined with a weather-proof seal, which makes it safe against drizzles and mild to moderate rain showers.
You can place the control panel in four different positions, or even mount it on a wall. The low flow rate option in this pump facilitates better removal of debris as opposed to other one-speed pool pumps.
This pump allows you to enjoy your swim in peace. Its performance is significantly quieter as compared to one-speed pumps.
Hayward SP2303VSP Features
- Weight: 40.6 lbs.; Dimensions: 24” x 10” x 11”
- 5” and 2” connection ports
- 65 HP motor
- Runs on up to 8 different speeds, self-contained timer
- External weather-resistant control pad which can be mounted on a wall
- Supports 230V power input
- Filter basket with transparent lid
- Available in two shades: black and gold
Pros and Cons of the Hayward SP2303VSP
As with any best pool pump option, there are going to be advantages and disadvantages when compared to other product options. This option is no exception.
We would be remiss if we didn’t cover this pool pump from all angles, though. Below are some of the pros and cons that we have discovered with the Hayward SP2303VSP.
- The pump comes with multiple speed and timer settings, leading to up to 80% energy conservation. Therefore, it is cost-effective.
- Its advanced engineering allows it to run quietly and efficiently.
- The variable connection port diameters ensure that the pump can be set up with a minimal structural change to your plumbing.
- The external control panel can be rotated to four different positions or can be wall-mounted. This allows for ease of access.
- The design is ENERGY STAR Certified and is eligible for local utility rebates.
- Works extremely well in both saltwater pools and chlorinated pools.
- There have been reports of the pump failing to work after a couple of months.
- Though a six-month manufacturer warranty is offered, there are often technical errors when attempting to contact Hayward’s customer service centers, and the service executives are not the most helpful.
- The single-phase 230V operation may cause difficulties.
Alternatives To This Pool Pump
While this pool pump is a solid option, it’s always good to have alternatives. This is especially true when you only want the best for what is likely one of the most expensive things in your home: your pool.
As such, below are a few alternative options to the Hayward SP2303VSP.
- Intex 3000 GPH Sand Filter Pump
- Pentair 011514
- XtremePowerUS Pool Pump
- Pentair 340039
- Hayward SP2607X10
Looking for some additional resources for your burning pool pump related questions? We answer some of the following questions in these articles:
- How to prime a pool pump?
- What size pump do I need for my above ground pool?
- How long should I run my pool pump?
- How to replace a pool pump motor?
- How to circulate pool water without a pump?
Our Final Verdict
With pool pumps being a necessary commodity, you must pick the right product for your swimming pool. You must consider factors such as the engine power, noise output, ease of use, etc. before getting a pump. The Hayward SP2303VSP comes with a powerful engine in an unassuming outer shell and runs quietly and efficiently.
Its customizable speed settings make water purification a significantly quicker process. Moreover, the pump’s ability to pair with external control systems will ensure that you have no trouble running it.
If you’re a pool-owner who is keen on energy conservation, you should definitely consider buying the Hayward SP2303VSP. Its unique design and low price make it a compelling buy.