Swimming pools are becoming lesser and lesser of luxury each day. A vast majority of the country’s population owns an inflatable pool even if they don’t have the space to accommodate a full-sized one. But owning a pool is simply not enough. Pool owners must possess a sound knowledge of proper pool maintenance, including pumps such as the Intex 3000 GPH Sand Filter Pump.
The pool pump forms the backbone of your swimming pool – one can say it is as important as the water in the pool. For forty years, Intex has been manufacturing protective equipment for both domestic and commercial swimming pools, making it one of the biggest names in the industry. This article will provide a review of one of Intex’s most popular products, the Intex 3000 GPH Sand Filter Pump.
About The Intex 3000 GPH Sand Filter Pump
The Intex 3000 GPH Sand Filter pump is a filtration system for swimming pools above the ground. Sand filter pumps are gaining recognition as a cost-effective method of pool filtration. The sand filters in this pump provide for deeper and more efficient cleaning of minuscule impurities.
The easily-accessible filter basket is present within the central body, and it filters large pieces of debris before the water reaches the sand filtration system. This ensures that the sand filter remains pure and functional for a longer period.
The most-advertised feature of this pool pump is that it is low-maintenance. The manufacturers claim you needn’t do anything to clean the pump’s central structure, except replace the sand inside every five years. This appears to be a big leap forward from the filter cartridge pumps, which need to be cleaned every few weeks.
The Intex 3000 GPH Sand Filter pump comes with a 6-function control valve that allows the pool owner to manage all the functions efficiently. This pump also contains a built-in timer for 24 hours, which allows for user-friendly cleaning experience. The rate of water flow in the pump is 3000 gallons per hour, making it an ideal filtration system for even large size pools.
Intex 3000 GPH Sand Filter Pump Features
- Tank size: 16”; Sand capacity: 120 lb
- Pump flow rate: 3000 GPH
- Contains six-function control valve
- Powerful motor (0.75 HP)
- Built-in Ground Fault Circuit Interpreter (GFCI)
- Strainer basket filters water before the water reaches the sand
- 24-hour timer with 2 to 12 hour presets that enables automatic operation
- Operates on 100-120 V input
Pros and Cons of the Intex 3000 GPH Sand Filter Pump
As with any best pool pump option, there are going to be advantages and disadvantages when compared to other product options. This option is no exception.
We would be remiss if we didn’t cover this pool pump from all angles, though. Below are some of the pros and cons that we have discovered with the Intex 3000 GPH Sand Filter Pump.
- The Intex 3000 GPH Sand Filter Pump is equipped with a powerful motor, which works seamlessly in above-ground pools.
- The motor is both powerful and silent.
- The pump can be easily assembled. The official Intex website also has tutorial videos in case the pool owner faces issues.
- The sand filtration systems facilitate the deep cleaning of debris and microorganisms.
- It is priced cheap when compared to most other variants with similar specifications.
- The six-function valve provides options for cleaning both the pool and the filter.
- The automatic timer ensures minimal effort on the part of the pool owner to operate the pump.
- There have been complaints about parts not threading properly into their assigned slots in the product. This has led to the leakage of water.
- The customer care services provided by Intex are not up to the mark. The customer service providers are non-responsive.
Alternatives To This Pool Pump
While this pool pump is a solid option, it’s always good to have alternatives. This is especially true when you only want the best for what is likely one of the most expensive things in your home: your pool.
As such, below are a few alternative options to the Intex 3000 GPH Sand Filter Pump.
- Pentair 011514
- XtremePowerUS Pool Pump
- Pentair 340039
- Hayward SP2607X10
- Intex Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump
Looking for some additional resources for your burning pool pump related questions? We answer some of the following questions in these articles:
- How to prime a pool pump?
- What size pump do I need for my above ground pool?
- How long should I run my pool pump?
- How to replace a pool pump motor?
- How to circulate pool water without a pump?
Our Final Verdict
The Intex 3000 GPH Sand Filter Pump provides a cost-effective filtration system for your above ground swimming pool. Its efficient design ensures a mess-free pool cleaning process. The pool pump fills up an average-sized swimming pool within minutes. The timer equipped within the machine removes impurities from the pool even if the pool owner forgets to do so.
Most pool pumps advertise that the only thing the owner has to do is switch the pump on and off. With this one, even that is not necessary. So if you are busy most of the time and are looking for a pool pump that does its job without your intervention, then this is perfect for you!